Sunday, September 12, 2010

Surströmming

Surströmming, or rotten herring, is a delicacy in the North or Sweden, and I just happen to get to try it, even though I am in the very South of Sweden. It was such a bad stench that the can had to be opened in a bucket of water! The smell I have to say was not bad (me being used to the smell of feedlots in Nebraska) But the taste was very strong, even with hard bread, potatoes, butter, sour cream, tomatoes and onion all mixed. I would have to say, it was.. 'different' But I don't think I would try it again if asked! I just had to keep in mind, it is a once in a life time thing, and many people don't get to say that went to a party to eat rotten herring. There is not one thing that I won't try in Sweden, because I got myself into this knowing I had to be very open- minded, how else will I find things out for myself? So far its goin good!
This was the whole set up!

3 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO DAKOTA! Keeping an open mind & trying new things is what will make your trip the most memorable for years to come, I'm proud that you are trying all the traditions, food & the bike riding, well you know that I would think that is AWESOME! I feel sorry for anyone who's afraid to try new things in life ESPECIALLY if it invovles riding a bike, it's just a whole new world out there by that mode of transportation. KEEP IT UP! Love ya, DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your attitude! Thats the way to make the best of your year. Love the pictures too. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete